The last couple of weeks, I have been focused on focusing!
I’ve spent quite a bit of time reflecting on my most successful, productive years. It is clear to me that one of my assets was that I had razor-sharp focus on the things that mattered. 2018 is shaping up to be a big year, so I am spending extra time setting up my priorities for the year. As I go through the process, my intent is to convey these steps to you.
Two weeks ago, I challenged you with identifying TWO BIG DEALS that will serve as your compass for the year (or upcoming YEARS). Last week, I gave some of the insight into why I feel that TWO BIG DEALS are a big deal, and I introduced the concept of HELP or HURT.
This week, I want to provide seven bullet points that I wrote down as I continue to dial in my focus. These are things that I have either read, heard, or thought of as I was working to filter out noise and figure out what I want to focus on this year. I found them helpful, and I hope you do to.
- It’s not about working harder, it’s about working smarter.
- It’s all about filtering out the noise that keeps you from moving towards your goal.
- Remove the 80% of junk that limits you from doing the 20% of quality work.
- Prioritize your day; focus on things that matter.
- Omit things that are a distraction or a nuisance.
- Be OK saying NO.
- Your greatest asset is YOURSELF. Take care of it. The better you are to yourself, the better you can be to others.
Stay strong. Being excellent isn’t easy.